Patriot Day for me started out with an assembly at Clearfield High School for Homecoming. They started the assembly with a moment of silence and I was impressed with the respect that the students gave during this time, the auditorium was completely silent for about 30 seconds. It gave me the chills. Eight years ago, the morning of Semptember 11, I remember waking up to the news in horror and confusion and after I had gotten Lyndsie and Sydnie off to school, we were all outside to wish Jennifer Ence a Happy Birthday! We were all in shock, crying and devastated over what we were discovering. What a sad, sad event...something that has changed our lives forever...escepcially our children. A few weeks later, we had a trip planned for disneyland and I remember being in the airport waiting for our plane and Sydnie kept asking me over and over
"Mom, do you think that our pilot is nice?"
What a simple question, but the meaning of it was huge, she was scared to death to get on the plane. They have true fears and most of the time, they just don't know how to show them. She was only 6 and that was how she was dealing with things...she just needed to know that her pilot was a nice one and wasn't going to fly our plane into a building. If 9/11 would have never happened, that question would not have been on her mind at all that day in the airport.
No comments:
Post a Comment